Most modern jobs require long hours spent sitting in office chairs. Prolonged hours spent at a desk often lead to aches, pains, and bad backs. In addition to stretching and exercise, desk-sitters can benefit from attaching lumbar support pillows to their desk chairs.
Are you looking for an easy way to reduce your lower back pain? We’ve done our research and discovered the very best back support for office chairs. For noticeable back pain relief, invest in one of these excellent ergonomic back support cushions.
Considerations Before Purchasing Lumbar Support for an Office Chair
Before investing in a back support cushion it is important to reflect upon your personal needs and desires. Consider asking yourself the following questions to determine which type of ergonomic back support cushion is best for you.
What is causing my pain? Where is my pain most noticeable?
Take a moment to reflect on your back problems and your sitting habits. Do you suffer from lumbar due to an an unsupportive desk chair? If so, a good memory foam lumbar support pillow may alleviate your pain. If your pain is in your hips, buttocks, or legs, you may find that a coccyx seat cushion works better for you.
If you’re feeling pain all over, it may be time to re-evaluate both your desk chair and your seating arrangement. An ergonomic office chair will probably benefit you more than an attachable back pillow. These office chairs for people with back problems are ideal for those who frequently experience severe levels of pain. Ergonomic desk chairs, however, are far more expensive than lower back pillows. If you are hesitant about investing in an ergonomic chair, consider purchasing a lumbar support cushion first. These cushions do indeed benefit most back pain sufferers.
How much am I willing to invest in lumbar support for my office chair?
Lower back support cushions vary in price. Some premium cushions may cost as much as $60-$100. Budget lumbar supports often cost as little as $10-$20. As lumbar supports are generally affordable, it is generally best to consider the features that are most important to you before worrying about prices. Spending an extra $10 for a better back support cushion is almost always a worthwhile investment.
Do I want my lower back support cushion to come with “extra” features?
Most lumbar cushions are fairly straightforward in their design. In these cases, you will probably be choosing between a memory foam cushion and a lighter mesh support. Some cushions, however, come with extra features, such as lumbar heating or massage. If these additional features are important to you, be sure to select a cushion that meets your needs. If not, select a standard back support pillow.
Simply put, it is worthwhile to consider the benefits and drawbacks of different back support cushions before making a purchase. By considering your needs ahead of time, you can ensure that you purchase a pillow that will reduce your lower back pain.
REVIEWS: The 5 Best Back Supports for Office Chairs
Duro-Med’s Relax-a-Bac Lumbar Support Cushion is a simple and straightforward lower back support that delivers on its promises. Available in four different colors (burgundy, gray, navy, and black) at a bargain price, the Duro-Med is the perfect foam back support for any back pain suffer. Users who spend days at their desks, in cars, and hunched over bicycles all rave that the Duro-Med cushion has improved their posture and reduced their lumbar pain. The cushion is machine washable and durable, offering unfailing support for years on end.
To affordably and effectively reduce your lumbar pain, buy Duro-Med’s Relax-a-Bac Cushion.
– The cushion has been positively reviewed by physical therapists and individuals suffering from major back problems, such as slipped discs.
– Users rave about pain reduction and improved posture.
– At under $16, the Duro-Med Lumbar Support Cushion is especially affordable.
– Some users complain that Duro-Med has changed the design of the cushion over time, leading to a less effective product.
– The quality of the cushion may not be as high as that of pricier products.
The Travelon Cool Mesh Back Support is a budget lumbar support system that offers its users excellent value. This firm mesh lumbar support comes equipped with a handy elastic strap, making it easy to attach the support to a variety of chairs, including car seats. The support’s breathable mesh design makes it the best choice for individuals working or driving in hot weather. Users claim that the Travelon Back Support improved their spinal alignment and eliminated the worst of their aches and pains.
For a lightweight, affordable solution to lumbar pain, try Travelon’s Cool Mesh Back Support System.
– The Travelon Back Support can be adjusted up and down, making it practical for users of all heights.
– The back support’s light mesh design makes it perfect for those working in warm environments.
– At just $13, the Travelon Cool Mesh Back Support is the most inexpensive product on our list.
– The quality of the product seems to vary widely based on its manufacturing date.
– The Travelon mesh cushion isn’t especially durable. Frequent users may wish to invest in a “back-up” cushion.
The Relaxzen Shiatsu Massage Cushion by Comfort Products is a soothing multi-functional lumbar support cushion. In addition to supporting the lower back, the cushion comes equipped with four shiatsu massage balls and a heat therapy feature. The heat and massage settings offer major benefits for individuals suffering from muscle tension and strain along the spine. Despite its many features, the Relaxzen Cushion remains lightweight and portable, making it ideal for both home and office use.
Massage-lovers are sure to feel great after a day spent using the Relaxzen Massage Cushion.
– The Relaxzen Shiatsu Cushion offers both heat and massage therapy at a reasonable price.
– Though generally used for lumbar support, the cushion can also be used to relieve tension in the thighs and buttocks.
– Comfort Products stands behind the cushion’s one year product warranty.
– The shiatsu massage balls may cause discomfort when at rest.
– Some users may find the heat and massage settings either too strong or too weak.
Unlike most office chair back supports, the Kieba Coccyx Seat Cushion goes under the buttocks rather than behind the back. Many back pain sufferers don’t realize that a coccyx seat can be just as effective as a lumbar cushion for relieving lower back pain. Equipped with a special cut-out for the tailbone (coccyx), this memory foam seat is idea for creating better posture and spinal alignment. Spinal, hip, and leg pain can be reduced by the Kieba Cushion.
If your spine, buttocks, and thighs hurt after hours spent sitting in your desk chair, the Kieba Coccyx Seat Cushion is probably the best choice for you.
– The cushion takes pressure off of the tailbone and buttocks. It can be paired with a traditional lumbar cushion for optimal spinal support.
– The Kieba Coccyx Cushion has received a perfect rating from nearly all of its customers.
– The seat’s cool memory gel keeps the cushion cool during hot days.
– The coccyx cushion does not offer as much lumbar-specific support as a lower back cushion does.
– The cushion is slightly more expensive than other options on the market.
The Love Home Memory Foam Lumbar Support Cushion is a fairly standard lumbar cushion. Though the cushion is slightly pricier than the Duro-Med support system, users rave that it’s worth it for the cushion’s extra durability. The cushion’s firm memory foam support system continues to work even after many years of use. Alignment of the spine and improved posture are almost always noticed after regular use.
If you’re looking for a long-lasting, classic lumbar support system, the Love Home Support Cushion just might be the right choice for you.
– The Love Home Cushion is among the top memory foam cushions available.
– The cushion comes with durable straps and is easy to adjust.
– The support’s design makes it ideal for desk chairs and car seats.
– The cushion may not optimally fit all chair types.
– The Love Home Support Cushion may be too small for those over 6 feet tall.
These five lumbar cushions are among the best back support for office chairs. For improved posture and serious back pain relief, invest in one of these top-rated back support cushions today!