- Things To Consider Before Buying a Body Pillow for Back Pain
- Top 5 Best Body Pillows for Back Pain
- In Conclusion:
Most back pain sufferers notice a change in their pain levels after a good night’s sleep. For some, sleep relieves tension in the neck and spine, soothing the aches that develop after a long workday. For others, sleep results in increased pain and tension in the upper and lower back.
In addition to evaluating the quality of their mattresses, back pain sufferers may wish to consider purchasing a body pillow to further support their backs. Side sleepers in particular may see significant benefits from sleeping with a full body pillow. The pain and numbness associated with spinal stenosis, sciatica, and other back problems may be reduced through the use of a straight or curved body pillow.
If you tend to wake up with spinal pain, a body pillow just might be the key to lasting back pain relief. We’ve done our research to discover the best top-rated body pillows on the market.
To reduce your pain levels and prevent future back pain flare-ups, buy one of these high-quality body pillows today.
Things To Consider Before Buying a Body Pillow for Back Pain
Though body pillows are generally fairly similar to one another, there are subtle differences to consider before making a purchase. Weigh these factors and reflect on your personal preferences to help you discover the body pillow that is best for you.
Shape and design are one of the most obvious ways in which body pillows differ from one another. A number of full body pillows have a long, straight, stick-like shape. The knees and legs may be placed around the pillow. The head can be placed on the pillow or next to it, depending on personal preference. These pillows are great for promoting hip alignment, but may offer less direct spinal support.
A J- or U-shaped body pillow will offer more direct support to the back and neck. These pillows wrap around the body, cradling both the stomach and back. Though these pillows offer more support, they also take up a large amount of bed space. These pillows may also retain more heat than their simpler counterparts.
Other pillows may be C-shaped. Instead of extending straight down between the legs, the ends of these pillows curve toward the stomach. These pillows gently support the entire spinal column. Though generally designed for use during pregnancy, these pillows can be used by anybody.
It is important to consider your sleeping positions before investing in a body pillow. In general, side sleeping is recommended for back pain suffers. If you have a herniated disc or a condition like sciatica, side sleeping may alleviate your pain.
C-, J-, and U-shaped body pillows are ideal for side sleepers. If it is difficult for you to sleep on your side, you may find that it is easier using these pillows. The wrap-around support offered by these pillows will hold you in place, making it easier to stay on your side without sliding onto your back or stomach.
If you frequently change your sleeping position throughout the night, you may prefer a straight body pillow. These pillows can easily be pushed aside when you turn over in your sleep.
Body pillows vary in price. Due to their size, most pillows tend to cost upwards of $50. More expensive pillows may cost $100 or more. A few budget options are available within the $20-$50 price range. We recommend purchasing a well-reviewed product that suits your personal budget.
If you’re having trouble settling on a body pillow, carefully consider the opinions of other customers. Read at least one positive, negative, and neutral review to get a better idea of the product’s highlights and drawbacks. Consider reading the reviews of other users with similar back problems. Ultimately, it is most important to find a pillow that reduces your pain and offers you a good night’s sleep.
Top 5 Best Body Pillows for Back Pain
1.) Leachco Snoogle Original Total Body Pillow
The Leachco Snoogle Original Body Pillow is among the most beloved pregnancy pillows available today. The pillow’s unique C-shaped design, however, makes it the perfect pillow for back pain sufferers as well. Men and women coping with sciatica, hip pain, and herniated disc problems all experienced pain relief as a result of switching to the Snoogle body pillow. Available at an affordable price, customers can also choose to invest a few dollars in a softer Snoogle pillowcase if they so desire.
Individuals with back pain should generally avoid stomach sleeping, which can strain the neck and lower back. With the Snoogle‘s ergonomic design, it’s far easier to maintain a side sleeping position, leading to reduced pain in the back, neck, hips, and knees.
Whether you’re experiencing pregnancy-related pains or simply suffer from a bad back, the Snoogle Original is a body pillow worth its price.
- Though the pillow is designed with pregnant women in mind, the cushion’s design does an excellent job relieving back pain in men and non-pregnant women, too.
- Alternative pillow covers, offered in materials like jersey and velvet, can be purchased separately for use with the Snoogle.
- Due to its design, it is a hassle to put the standard pillowcase back on the Snoogle after washing.
- Some customers felt that the pillow did not maintain its fullness after a few months of use.
2.) Snuggle-Pedic Shredded Bamboo Memory Foam Body Pillow
The Snuggle-Pedic Memory Foam Body Pillow is a luxuriously comfortable sleeping cushion. This straight body pillow offers optimal support to both stomach and side sleepers. At 54 inches in length, this pillow can be used by adults of all sizes. Shredded bamboo memory foam provides the pillow with a supportive firmness that never goes flat. These body pillows are hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites, too, making them ideal for allergy sufferers.
The Snuggle-Pedic pillow comes with a comprehensive 20-year warranty. Their customer service team also offers repairs and pillow customization at little or no cost. If you’re looking for a long, firm body cushion, consider purchasing the Snuggle-Pedic Memory Foam Pillow.
- The Snuggle-Pedic pillow is designed to promote air flow, keeping sleepers cool throughout the night.
- The cushion’s bamboo memory foam filling remains fluffy and naturally conforms to the contours of the body.
- The Snuggle-Pedic does not come with a proper pillowcase cover. To keep the pillow clean, users either need to wash the entire pillow or purchase a separate pillowcase.
- Some users found the memory foam to be too heavy. Others felt that their pillows were under-stuffed. Customer service representatives, however, resolved many of these issues.
3.) Comfort-U Total Body Support Pillow
The Comfort-U Total Body Support Pillow is a massive, fluffy, U-shaped body pillow. Filled with hypoallergenic foam, this plush cushion makes sleeping more enjoyable than ever before. By cradling the neck, torso, and back, this pillow gently brings the spine into alignment while reducing tension throughout the body.
Customers raved that sleeping in the pillow was like nestling into a large pet bed. Individuals with neck pain, herniated discs, and lower back pain saw significant reductions in their pain levels when using the pillow. Those who thought they needed new mattresses often changed their minds after sleeping with the Comfort-U pillow, as the cushion alone drastically improved the quality of their sleep.
If a plush and versatile U-shaped pillow is what you seek, the Comfort-U Total Body Support Pillow is guaranteed to meet your needs.
- The U-shaped pillow makes sleeping in various positions more comfortable. The pillow is also great for lounging in bed.
- Unlike a number of other products, the Comfort-U pillow comes with a pillow cover included.
- Some customers were unsatisfied with the durability of the Comfort-U body pillow. Some experienced tearing; others felt that the pillow became too flat with regular use.
- At over $100, this pillow is relatively pricey. (Click Here for Current Price & More Details)
4.) Leachco All-Nighter Chic Total Body Pillow
The Leacho All-Nighter Chic is a flexible, intelligently-designed full body pillow. This unique J-shaped cushion can be positioned in a variety of different ways, offering support for sleepers of all types. The long end of the pillow, for instance, may be folded up towards the stomach or left in an extended position. This flexibility makes the pillow ideal for back and stomach sleepers, too. The extra-wide head of the pillow is great for anyone who wishes to rest their head on the cushion, eliminating the need for a separate head pillow altogether.
Customers rave that the All-Nighter Chic is the perfect size and filled with just the right amount of material. Adults of various heights and weights all enjoyed using the pillow.
Almost any back pain condition can be improved through the use of the Leacho All-Nighter Chic Total Body Pillow.
- Back, stomach, and side sleepers all experienced relief using the All-Nighter Chic. Transitioning between sleeping positions was easy and comfortable.
- In addition to relieving back pain and sciatica, customers noted an improvement in digestion, anxiety levels, and nighttime allergies when using the All-Nighter Chic.
- The All-Nighter Chic is a particularly large pillow. Those with a queen size bed may find that the pillow takes up too much space to accommodate another sleeper.
5.) Lavish Home Shredded Memory Foam Body Pillow
The Lavish Home Shredded Memory Foam Body Pillow is an excellent option for customers seeking a body pillow on a budget. This simple, straight body pillow is packed with shredded memory foam, providing sleepers with firm yet flexible support. The pillow’s design also makes it cool and breathable, preventing sweating and overheating. Larger customers will find that the pillow maintains its shape and doesn’t go flat, even with repeated use.
Though the Lavish Home pillow is simpler than many others, it remains a powerful tool for combating spinal pain. Customers with chronic back pain and individuals recovering from back surgery noted that the pillow was a crucial tool in reducing their pain and aiding their recovery.
Customers looking for an affordable, entry-level body pillow should consider purchasing the Lavish Home Shredded Memory Foam Pillow.
- The Lavish Home pillow is one of the most affordable top-rated body pillows on the market.
- The cushion’s shredded memory foam filling remains firm and supportive.
- Some customers complained that the pillow retained a strong chemical scent despite days spent airing it out.
- The Lavish Home pillow is somewhat shorter than other memory foam pillows. At 50 inches in length, it is ideal for most women and shorter men. Taller individuals may not be able to rest their heads or ankles on the pillow.
The way in which you sleep has a tremendous impact on your spinal health. If you’re still experiencing significant nighttime pain after purchasing a body pillow, you may need to buy a new mattress or mattress topper for additional spinal support.
By using a body pillow, you can more easily maintain alignment in your neck, back, hips, and knees. Sleeping with a high-quality body pillow will allow you to enjoy happier, more productive days without the burden of unrelenting back pain. Investing in your spinal health will pay off for years to come.