- 1.) Thermophore Automatic Moist Heat Pack 14 x 27″ Heating Pad
- 2.) Mind and Body Whole Body Wrap, 25 x 7”
- 3.) BodyMed Electrical Digital Heating Moist Pad, 14 x 27”
- 4.) Sunbeam Xpress Heating Pad, 14 x 24”
- 5.) Sunny Bay Body Heating Wrap, X- Large, 10 x 24”
- 6.) Sunbeam King Size Heating Pad, 12 x 24”
- 7.) Chattanooga Theratherm Digital Moist Heating Pad, L/Std, 14 x 27”
- 8.) Sunbeam Body Shaped Heating Pad,
- 9.) HealthSmart TheraBeads Heating Pad, 12 x 16”
- 10.) UTK Far Infrared Electric Heat Therapy 15 by 19-Inch Jade Pad
Applying heat or cold to the body is simple yet effective form of treatment for most common instances back pain. And they pose minimal risk when compared to chronic use of painkillers or invasive surgical procedures. According to WebMD, heat is preferable for pain-relief in the case of recurring back pain, while a cold ice pack the is better option for fresh injuries, trauma or inflammation related lower back pain.
Heat therapy combats pain in 3 main ways:
It increases the flow of blood to affected muscles, speeding up the healing process
By affecting the sensory receptors in the area, it partially blocks the transmission of pain signals to the brain
It reduces the stiffness in the soft tissue in the back, making it more supple and healthy
In this article, we will review the top 10 best heating pads for back pain available in the market today in no particular order:
1.) Thermophore Automatic Moist Heat Pack 14 x 27″ Heating Pad
This is a large heating pad ideal for covering your entire back area. Though it is a moist heating pad, you don’t have to apply any water. The pad has the ability to draw the required moisture from the air itself.
- A moist heating pad is better than a dry heating pad
- Heats up very fast to a maximum temperature of 176F
- Has a removable cover for easier handling
- Not for people with a low tolerance of heat
- The model has a slightly inconvenient switch function that requires constant pressure to maintain temperature
2.) Mind and Body Whole Body Wrap, 25 x 7”
A dual purpose fabric filled with therapeutic beads that can be used either as a hot or cold wrap. It is big enough to cover your entire body. To use, just put it in the microwave or freezer for a little while and you are good to go.
- Can be used either as a hot or cold pad
- Simple to operate
- Provides good lumbar support
- No in-built heating mechanism, requires microwaving
- Only dry heat
- A little thick and bulky, can be uncomfortable to handle
3.) BodyMed Electrical Digital Heating Moist Pad, 14 x 27”
An advanced heating pad with in-built LCD controls and moist heat capability. It is actually available in 4 different sizes and has the ability produce its own moisture from air. It can be applied in multiple regions of the body.
- Numerous advanced features including LCD controls
- Moist heating pad that requires no water
- Advanced flexible timer functions
- The timer alarm beep is a bit loud and can possibly disrupt sleep
4.) Sunbeam Xpress Heating Pad, 14 x 24”
A soft and plush heating pad for those looking for extra comfort. Utilizes an ultra-fast heating technology to raise the temperature in under 30 seconds. A versatile heating pas with adjustable heating settings and digital LCD controller. Large enough to cover a significant portion of the spine.
- Continuous on function is available unlike many other pads
- Extremely plush and easy to handle
- Fast heating technology helps when you need quick pain relief
- No removable cover, so not easy to clean and maintaining
- May not be large enough for everyone
- Though feature packed, it is more expensive that other pads
5.) Sunny Bay Body Heating Wrap, X- Large, 10 x 24”
An extra large pad that is filled with rice. It can used as a hot or cold pack. It is easy to use, washable and has a fleece cover. Just microwave or freeze before use according to requirements.
- Simple and straightforward functionality
- Durable and affordable
- Dual purpose pad
- The rice filling may give off a faint aroma, might put off some people
- Requires a large microwave
- Relatively poor heat retention capacity
6.) Sunbeam King Size Heating Pad, 12 x 24”
This is an extra large heating pad with temperature control and the ability to maintain a consistent heat. There are three heat settings to choose from and the slide controller is very easy to operate. The heating pad also has the option of moist heat therapy.
- It has a very long power cord
- The slide controller is great for people with arthritis
- The lack of an auto shut off feature provides continuous heating for long duration
- The moist feature requires water
- Lack of auto shut off means more care is required when sleeping with one of these
- Some people complain of incomplete heat coverage across the entire surface
7.) Chattanooga Theratherm Digital Moist Heating Pad, L/Std, 14 x 27”
A hardcore heating pad with the ability deliver intense moist heat therapy for pain relief. Can be used on the back as well as the limbs and joints. Perfect for arthritis, inflammation and strain related pain. Has digital temperature control, timer as well as lockout mode.
- Delivers intense moist heat for instant relief
- Controls are easy to use and has the capacity to raise temperatures incrementally instead of high low and medium settings
- The heat setting may be a bit too hot for some people to handle
- The pad works continuously on for a maximum of 1 hour
- Pricier than some other heating pads
8.) Sunbeam Body Shaped Heating Pad,
Instead of a regular rectangle shaped heating pad, this model from sunbeam has a convenient body fitting shape and velcro straps to snugly fit it around the pain area. This electric heating pad has both hot and cold therapy functions. It also has a unique gel pack design that allows the pad to be used on the go without the power cord.
- Simple button controls for increasing and decreasing temperature.
- The unique body shape design is very comfortable
- The on the go feature works great
- No “continuous on” function
- No LCD display for the control
9.) HealthSmart TheraBeads Heating Pad, 12 x 16”
This is a microwaveable heating pad filled with unique TheraBeads that can conform to any body part snugly. The pad has the capacity to provide moist heat therapy for all kinds of back pain. The TheraBeads capture moisture from the air and release them when microwaved.
- Fully portable and easy to use
- Moist heat therapy with special TheraBeads, no water is required
- Retains heat for 30 minutes only
- Not comfortable enough to lie on
10.) UTK Far Infrared Electric Heat Therapy 15 by 19-Inch Jade Pad
An altogether different choice from the rest of the heating pads available in the list here, these use a different heating system. While normal heating pads either use a metal heating element of microwaveable beads/rice, infrared pads use stones like jade or tourmaline to deliver heat to the body.
- Uses different technology that claims to provide better relief than traditional pads
- Compact size and effective heating system
- Sturdy construction
- The stones make it less comfortable compared to traditional heating pads
- Compact size may be too small for some people
Heating pads offer an effective form of home remedy for people suffering from chronic back pain. There is a wide variety of choice when it comes to buying a heating pad, both in terms of size as well as heating technology involved. In this list, we have tried to provide a broad selection of some of the best heating pads for back pain available in the market now. Ranging from compact to extra large, dual purpose to heating only, from microwaveable to electric heating and infrared there is huge diversity in the types of heating pads available. It all depends of the unique requirements of the customer