- Benefits of a Massage Chair
- Things to Consider Before Buying a Massage Chair
- Top 5 Best Massage Chairs
- 1. Ogawa Smart 3D Most Advanced Massage Chair
- 2. Zero Gravity Full-Body Kahuna Massage Chair Recliner LM6800 with Yoga and Heating Therapy
- 3. RELAXONCHAIR MK-II Plus Full Massage Chair with Built Heating and Air Massage System
- 4. Electric Full Body Shiatsu Massage Chair Recliner
- 5. Real Relax Massage Chair Recliner
Not only do zero gravity massage chairs provide relief from back pain and discomfort, but they also deliver superior relaxation. While they’re a welcome comfort to any individual, they are an essential wellness tool for individuals dealing with joint issues and pain. Nonetheless, if you are making the investment in a massage chair, making sure you select a chair that is worth the money is important. To help you get the most value for your money, we have compiled this list of the 5 best massage chairs available today.
Benefits of a Massage Chair
There are a number of different benefits to owning a massage chair, but some of the immediate health benefits include:
- Aligning the spine and reducing pressures on the nerves
- Relaxing your muscles and improving posture
- Reducing stress and tension
- Improving circulation and promoting healing
- Stimulating the body’s release of endorphins
While some may look at a massage chair as a luxury, the list above indicates that there are clear medical benefits to owning and using a massage chair at home. Particularly if you have an injury, such as a pulled muscle or strained back, or a chronic health concern, it is important to consider all your options and know how to choose a massage chair that is not only a good fit for you but that also delivers on all of the necessities.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Massage Chair
A massage chair recliner is a valuable device designed to disperse your body weight across your body and decompress your spine. The chair also functions to displace muscle tension, improve circulation, and support relaxation of the head, back, and neck. Before you pour money into just any chair, though, it’s important that you know what to consider and take these factors into account.
1. Durability – A massage chair should be an investment that lasts for years to come. You will want to consider durability as an important qualifier when choosing the right massage chair.
2. Warranty – Reading the small print of the manufacturer’s warranty is also important. Whatever chair you choose should be backed by a good warranty. More reputable companies often offer longer warranties and be without loopholes.
3. Customer Satisfaction – Customer reviews are a great way to determine the value of a chair (or any purchase for that matter). The sales copy will try to sell, but customer testimonials will provide you with a consumer’s perspective and actually seal the deal.
4. Ease of Repair – Massage chairs are bulky and heavy, making sending one to the company for repairs a cumbersome task. That aspect is particularly frustrating if it is for a simple issue, like a piece of torn upholstery. Consider looking for a modular design instead. With this option, you’ll be able to send just the part needing repaired instead of the whole chair.
5. Customer Service – Being able to reach an actual representative to discuss concerns or issues is important. High quality manufacturers will provide a toll free number or online chat service where you can get your issues resolved and your questions answered. You may even want to consider dialing the number and making a test call prior to investing in your massage chair so you know what to expect.
6. Cost – The price tag on massage chairs varies extensively based on the different features you want included. Chairs may be anywhere from hundreds of dollars to thousands of dollars. These chairs sell for as much as $8000 for those with more ornate features, but you can typically find a solid chair with the basic features you want and need for between $1500 and $3000. Keep in mind that components, like leather, will cost more as well as extras, such as headphones and/or MP3 players. Additionally, the more areas of the body that the chair is designed to massage at once, the greater the end cost is. To keep your costs in check, you’ll want to evaluate the features you want and need in a chair.
7. Guarantee – In addition to a warranty, a chair should also be covered by a 30 day money back guarantee at a minimum. This guarantee should also be free of any loopholes or conditions. If this is not the case, look for a different option. This is a key component of any company that believes in their product.
8. Adjustable Sizing – Some manufacturers offer a sizing feature with their chairs. In most situations, this is not necessary. Chairs that are well made come with adjustments to fit nearly any body size. The more important concern for individuals is often body weight. Be sure to check the specifications on the specific chair you are considering. The typical maximum a chair will accept is 300 pounds.
9. Control – The common standard is now that massage chairs are adjustable with a remote control device. Whatever the design is on your chair, it is most important that the chair works for you. However, if you prefer to have a lot of extras, you can find a chair with nearly however many that you want.
10. Appearance – While it might be the last feature on the list, the appearance of your massage chair certainly isn’t of any less importance. An attractive chair that fits the space you’ll house it is important. When purchasing a massage chair, you are making an investment that will last a while after all. So you want to make sure that this piece of furniture is as practical as it is aesthetically pleasing. It should blend with your décor rather than just look like a machine plopped in the center of your room.
Top 5 Best Massage Chairs
With those criteria in mind, we compiled a list of the top 5 massage chairs. Consider these options if you want to do a little less leg work and a whole lot more relaxing and restoring your sore muscles.
1. Ogawa Smart 3D Most Advanced Massage Chair
The Ogawa Smart Massage Chair is designed with all of the bells and whistles. It has 5 new innovations, including a smart tablet, air compression sensing, touch stop sensors, 17+program options, and advanced massage techniques. If you’re looking for comfort and advanced use, then this chair is one to consider.
The Ogawa Smart 3D delivers the most humanistic robotic massage available today. It also allows for superior personalization with its smart tablet feature. Not only that, but the chair also features a smart body scan that measures and identifies your exact spinal curve and your specific location in the chair for massage accuracy. The Smart Chair massages from head to toe and uses patented full body smart touch to give you your ideal massage comfort – from head to toe.
This chair is on the higher end of price points, so it may be a bit luxurious for some. It is also worth noting that the chair only includes heat in the lumbar region rather than in both the lumbar and foot region. For individuals not familiar with the smart feature, the tablet can take a bit of getting used to and may seem tricky at first.
2. Zero Gravity Full-Body Kahuna Massage Chair Recliner LM6800 with Yoga and Heating Therapy
The Kahuna Massage Chair Recliner is newly designed and upgraded to include three levels of zero gravity. This system is one of the most popular massage chairs at an affordable price. Complete with heating therapy and the auto yoga stretching function, this chair is ideal for almost any individual looking for the benefits of a zero gravity massage chair.
This chair features several customizable options to provide you a truly unique massage experience. The chair has an automatic body scan feature that creates a custom body massage. The Kahuna Recliner also features a space saving design, so it needs only 3 inches during transition between the three different zero gravity positions. With its advanced air cell massage technology, the chair also functions quietly and performs better to cover the most surface area with the fewest number of air cells possible.
Although the manufacturer specs the chair to 240 pounds and a height of 6’2”, many taller customers report the chair being a tight fit. Likewise, customers found the chair difficult to assemble, and it does require extensive assembly upon delivery. It is also important to know that the chair does target the back, shoulders, and buttocks well. However, some customers reported that the lower body features were not as fitting for them.
3. RELAXONCHAIR MK-II Plus Full Massage Chair with Built Heating and Air Massage System
The Relaxonchair is designed to combine affordability and quality all in one. This chair has features of much higher end chairs but is available at a much more affordable price point. This chair is fully redesigned with a full L-track massage system, deep tissue massage function, and fully automatic programs. The Relaxonchair also features computerized body scan and 5 manual specific targeted massages.
The reviews on this chair are undeniably positive. In fact, many customers report that it has the best features for the price. The chair combines the effective L-track system with arm, foot, and shoulder massage as well as a program that combines each to stretch your entire body. Most users also share that the Relaxonchair is relatively easy to put together.
On the other hand, some individuals report that the pressure available on this model was not to their liking, and it is not adjustable. Additionally, some users noted that the leg portion of the chair is noisier than other makes and models and even seems to stick. For those who are tall and/or long-legged, the rollers may not extend quite long enough to be as effective as other models.
4. Electric Full Body Shiatsu Massage Chair Recliner
Priced at under $1000, this chair really is one that offers a lot of bang for your buck (Click Here for Current Price & More Details). The Shiatsu Massage Recliner features power rollers that function to reduce muscle stress, reduce fatigue, and rejuvenate your body and mind. Likewise, the percussion and compression features help to improve your flexibility, mobility, and posture. The chair easily conforms to your back and also has a built-in neck massage feature.
If you’re looking for a quality massage chair and don’t have a big budget, this option is definitely worth considering. Many users reported that the chair is comparable to much more expensive name brand models. Obviously the prices is a big plus on this chair, but it also comes with a few bells and whistles that make it worth trying. Of note, the heat feature works extremely well, and the pressotherapy is adjustable to different intensities. Additionally, the recline functions on the chair are said to be very comfortable.
As with most any chair, even this one is not without its drawbacks. While the footrests are adjustable, individuals over 6 feet tall may find that they have to do a bit of adjusting to find a comfortable fit. Likewise, some users report that they did not find the buttocks and hip/thigh massage intense enough to really notice a significant benefit. Some users did have trouble with the chair unexpectedly ceasing to work; however, the positive reviews far outweigh the negative.
5. Real Relax Massage Chair Recliner
Another option on the more affordable end of the spectrum, the real relax massage chair is designed with full body shiatsu, zero gravity, armrest linkage system, and heater. It has 4 preset massage programs and 8 massage points within the backrest alone that work together to provide you with a full body massage from head to toe. The built-in heater at the waist functions to improve blood circulation and increase metabolism, and the seat massager includes settings for vibration, additional heat, and air manipulation.
Even though this chair is on the lower end of massage chair price points, you would never know it with all the features it offers. The 50 air bags included in its design massage gently over the shoulders, arms, seat, and legs. Additionally, the footrests extend fully to accommodate taller individuals and are reportedly very comfortably. The zero gravity function works effectively and reduces tension on your whole body, allowing you to relax not only physically but also mentally.
Some individuals did find that the roller positions come preset and aren’t in the best location for everyone depending on body size. Additionally, the pressure settings do not vary as much in some other makes, which some individuals may find less pleasing. Customers did report, however, that the customer service provided by the manufacturer was good in most cases.
If you’re looking for the best massage chair for the money, you don’t have to just look at the most high-end options. There are options that range in price from the several thousand to several hundred, and each chair provides a state-of-the-art experience. Consider the chairs listed above and weigh your options based on what you are looking for in a chair. You’ll be surprised how much you can get for your money if you’re willing to do a little research.