- Things To Consider Before Buying a Mattress Topper
- Top 5 Best Mattress Toppers for Back Pain
- 1.) Sleep Innovations 4″ Dual Layer Mattress Topper – Gel Memory Foam and Plush Fiber
- 2.) DreamFoam 2″ Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper
- 3.) Hospitology Microfiber Overstuffed Mattress Pad
- 4.) Lucid 2″ Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- 5.) Dreamfoam Bedding Ultimate Dreams Full 3″ Talalay Latex Mattress Topper
- In Conclusion:
The average person spends roughly one-third of their life sleeping. Naturally, most of that sleeping takes place on a mattress. Individuals with back pain may experience greater soreness and discomfort upon waking each morning. Others may feel stiff throughout the morning hours. Some may not even make the connection between their sleeping environment and their daytime pain.
Regardless of the source of your discomfort, a good mattress pad may reduce your hip, shoulder, or lower back pain. To improve the quality of your sleep and your spinal health, consider investing in one of the following top-rated mattress toppers.
Things To Consider Before Buying a Mattress Topper
Though buying a mattress topper is less costly than purchasing an entirely new mattress, buyers should not rush the decision-making process. Before you choose a mattress topper to buy you should consider which type of topper would be most comfortable for you. Check product descriptions and read a positive and negative review for each product you are considering before narrowing down your options.
Here are a few of the most important questions to ask yourself before you settle on a mattress pad.
Do I need a mattress pad or a new mattress?
Most sleep specialists recommend a change of mattress every 7 to 8 years. If your mattress is particularly old, you may want to change your mattress before you purchase a mattress pad. A mattress with noticeable wear and tear may be exacerbating problems like back and hip pain. Unfortunately, a mattress topper is unlikely to compensate for a droopy or lumpy bed. In fact, a worn or uneven mattress may cause mattress pads to shift around, leading to more pain and frustration. You may wind up investing in multiple mattress pads but to no avail. For this reason it is crucial to examine the state of your mattress before considering mattress toppers.
If your mattress, however, simply offers poor lumbar support, a mattress pad may be the right solution for you. A topper may be a good choice for those who sleep on innerspring mattresses, for instance. These individuals may seek the comfort of memory foam or the support of extra-firm latex without having to switch mattresses. Side sleepers may also discover that toppers provide relief from pressure-point pain.
In short, it is important to have a decent mattress before you invest in a mattress topper. By providing your spine with adequate nighttime support, you can avoid some the pain associated with a bad back.
What size mattress am I going to cover?
Most mattress pads come in a variety of sizes. You’ll probably want to choose the topper that matches the size of your bed. Most brands offer mattress pads in standard sizes ranging from twin through California king. If you have a less common mattress size, like extra-long twin or extra-long full, your choices may be slightly more limited, though many options remain.
Some individuals may seek a mattress topper for only half of their bed. Spouses may desire different mattress materials or levels of firmness, for instance, leading to conflicting needs. For those with king-size beds, a twin-size mattress topper will cover slightly over half of the bed. Those with queen-size beds may need to trim or otherwise modify a pad to fit it to one half of the bed.
What is my budget for a mattress pad?
Before diving into the purchasing process, it is important to consider your budget for a mattress topper. Despite being cheaper than full mattresses, mattress pads can still be fairly costly. Most high-quality toppers have a list price of roughly $100 or more. Though better prices can be found online, a majority of products still cost $40 or more. Some topper materials, like latex, are inherently more expensive than foam or microfiber cushions. These toppers can cost up to a few hundred dollars, though some savvy shoppers may find options available for under $200.
Though spending within your limits is always important, try not to skimp on this purchase. Spending a few extra dollars on a top-rated mattress pad is a worthwhile investment; the right topper could significantly reduce your back pain.
Which type of mattress topper is right for me?
Mattress toppers are made from a variety of materials. These toppers can be soft and form-fitting or firm and supportive. Hopefully your current back pain levels give you some idea of what you need from a mattress pad. If your back hurts from sleeping on an extra-firm mattress, you may benefit from a fluffy down mattress pad. Side sleepers with hip pain may experience relief on a memory foam topper. Many lower back pain sufferers will find that a firmer mattress topper offers greater stability, aiding pain relief. Memory foam and latex mattresses are often best for those who desire greater levels of lumbar support.
Before you choose a topper type, read product reviews to see which products are recommended by other back pain sufferers. If you’re still uncertain, visit a mattress store to determine which level of firmness is most comfortable for you.
Top 5 Best Mattress Toppers for Back Pain
1.) Sleep Innovations 4″ Dual Layer Mattress Topper – Gel Memory Foam and Plush Fiber
Sleep Innovations’ Dual Layer Mattress Topper comes with two separate layers. The lower layer of the topper is made from gel memory foam. This gel helps counteract the heat-retaining properties of standard memory foam. A puffy, plush fiber mattress pad layer can then be applied atop the memory foam, adding two more inches of comfortable spinal support.
Individuals with severe lower back pain and hip pain almost universally sing the praises of the Sleep Innovations topper. The gel memory foam contours to the curve of the spine while remaining firm enough to offer back support. The plush layer enhances comfort, promoting a restful night’s sleep. Those with chronic back pain, fibromyalgia, and disc problems all experienced significantly diminished pain as a result of using the Sleep Innovations’ two-layer topper.
Back pain sufferers seeking the best of both worlds should consider Sleep Innovations’ Dual Layer Mattress Topper.
- The two-inch gel memory foam layer offers the contouring benefits of memory foam without the sinking sensation caused by thicker layers of foam.
- The pair of mattress toppers comes with a respectable 10-year warranty.
- Some customers believed that the gel memory foam topper was four inches thick. This layer, however, is only two inches thick. The plush layer is also two inches thick.
- Though gel memory foam is cooler than standard memory foam, the topper may still be too warm for those who become easily overheated.
2.) DreamFoam 2″ Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper
DreamFoam’s Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper is an affordable and reliable mattress pad for anyone looking to experience the benefits of foam support. This high-quality visco-elastic memory foam mattress pad is two inches thick, providing the back with both comfort and support. Individuals with severe back pain, shoulder pain, hip pain, and sciatica all noticed marked improvement in their daytime pain levels after sleeping on the DreamFoam topper.
Like the Sleep Innovations topper, the DreamFoam mattress pad includes swirls of cooling gel to promote restful sleep at a comfortable temperature. The topper is a particularly good choice for those seeking a softer sleeping surface. Other perks of this top-rated topper include its 3-year warranty and its low-chemical CertiPUR formulation.
If a simple, affordable memory foam topper is what you seek, buy DreamFoam’s Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper.
- Despite being just two inches thick, customers claimed that the topper completely transformed extra-firm mattresses, allowing them to sleep restfully.
- Unlike with many memory foam pads, very few customers complained about the topper’s scent.
- Some customers found the DreamFoam topper to be too soft or squishy for their tastes.
- A few individuals received torn toppers.
3.) Hospitology Microfiber Overstuffed Mattress Pad
Have you ever wanted to experience the sensation of sleeping on a cloud? If so, Hospitology’s Microfiber Mattress Pad will please you immensely. This fluffy polyester mattress topper is highly recommended by customers with back pain. Individuals both young and old praise the cushioned topper, raving that it has made uncomfortable beds plush again. College students with hip pain and older adults with arthritis and sciatica all claim to have experienced noticeable pain reduction with the topper.
This duvet-style topper is light yet substantial enough to dramatically improve sleep quality and pain levels. A box-stitched design holds the filling in its place, preventing clumping and unevenness. Though some users claim that it is not enough to fully eliminate their back pain, most users experienced a marked reduction in their day-to-day discomfort. Fans of fluffy bedding are sure to fall in love with Hospitology’s Microfiber Mattress Pad.
- The Hospitology topper is made with microfiber polyester, a comfortable, hypoallergenic material.
- Unlike other mattress toppers, the Hospitology pad generally remains cool throughout the night.
- The mattress pad is susceptible to tearing when cleaned in a washing machine. It can only be washed using a large machine.
- Customers occasionally received a moldy, torn, or damaged mattress pad. Those who experienced problems, however, had good experiences returning the product and receiving refunds.
4.) Lucid 2″ Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper
The Lucid Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper is a simple two-inch foam mattress pad. For many back pain sufferers, an extra-firm mattress is considered ideal, though it often causes addition stiffness and discomfort. The Lucid mattress topper works well with firm mattresses, cushioning the spine, shoulders, and hips while retaining the support of the mattress beneath it. Individuals with various types of back pain almost universally experienced improvement using this restorative mattress pad.
The topper is manufactured based on CertiPUR standards, guaranteeing that harmful chemicals like phthalates and heavy metals are not present in the foam. The traditional memory foam pad is cooled via large air ventilation holes. The pad, however, is perhaps best for those who prefer a warm and cozy sleeping environment.
For a simple solution to back pain, try Lucid’s Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper.
- The Lucid topper effectively transforms an innerspring mattress into a memory foam bed.
- Almost all memory foam toppers that can be found in stores cost more than the Lucid topper, making it a good choice for budget shoppers.
- The mattress pad only has ventilation holes, which may not promote optimal cooling.
- Some customers noted that the topper’s pungent odor didn’t dissipate with time.
5.) Dreamfoam Bedding Ultimate Dreams Full 3″ Talalay Latex Mattress Topper
Dreamfoam Bedding’s Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress Topper is a soothing yet highly supportive mattress pad. This thick, three-inch topper is available in three different firmness levels. Made from talalay latex and encased in a bamboo fabric, the Dreamfoam topper is one of the most durable mattress pad options on the market; latex toppers generally have longer lifespans than memory foam and fiber toppers.
Customers with overly-soft beds discovered that extra-firm toppers significantly improved the quality of their sleep. Others, who slept on firm beds but continued to experience back pain, noted that softer latex toppers offered increased plushness without reducing the support offered by their mattresses. Many customers with chronic joint, hip, and back problems experienced tremendous pain relief as a result of switching to Dreamfoam toppers.
If you’re willing to invest a few extra dollars in a high-quality, durable topper, Dreamfoam Bedding’s Ultimate Dreams Latex Topper is the right choice for you.
- The mattress topper comes in three different levels of firmness, allowing customers to choose the density that best suits their needs.
- Most users had great experiences with Dreamfoam Bedding’s customer service. The staff is adept at helping customers discover which topper and firmness level will best meet their needs.
- With a price tag of a few hundred dollars, the Dreamfoam Bedding Latex Mattress Topper is considerably more expensive than the other products on our list.
- Some customers noted that the latex sagged in certain areas after long-term use.
A bad back can lead to nights of fitful tossing and turning. Investing in a high-quality mattress topper is one of the most reliable ways to reduce this nighttime back pain. If you’re experiencing persistent back, hip, or shoulder pain, consider purchasing one of these top-rated mattress pads. It just might lead to reduced pain throughout the day and night.